Sunday, April 27, 2014

Timor (2004)

Date of issue: 2004
Name of issue: Os grandes pintores do mundo

                          "Greatest painters of the world"
Number of arachnid related stamps in issue: 0/9

I was always dissapointed that there was no Opiliones stamp. It is a very diverse order, many more species than scorpions, and yet nothing at all on postal stamps.

A few weeks ago I had an idea. I thought there might be a stamp of Salvadore Dali's painting called "Daddy Longlegs of the Evening... Hope!" from 1939-1940. Even though there are many Dali stamps, I only found one with this particular artwork.

I was pretty thrilled, but unfortunately, not is all perfect. First, I am pretty certain this is a cinderella issue. Even though East Timor has official stamps, I could not fund this series in the catalog. Second, the opiliones is not on the stamp itself, only on the souvenir sheet. But it is better than nothing!

I only have this series as imperforated, but it comes perforated, that is how I was able to find that the opiliones is not on the stamp.

Michel #: ? (suspected cinderella)
order: Opiliones














Crop:












Other stamps of this series (missing one sheet of three):

No comments:

Post a Comment