Saturday, January 31, 2015

Singapore (1998)


Date of issue: June 5th, 1998
Name of issue: Fragile forest
Number of arachnid related stamps in issue: 2/10

Another very nice series in two booklets of self adhesive stamps.

In the upper right corners of the booklets, there is a "scratchable" area. I was very curious to know what was under there, but I did not want to damage my own items. So I decided to buy a second set so that I could look! Anyhow, as you will see on the scans below, one of the booklets had the Haplopelma lividum drawing (on the booklet of the Pandinus imperator)  and the other had the iguana drawing. 

Now I was wondering if they are all like that, or if these icons were random and some others will have anyone of the stamps from the series. I became obsessed with that theory. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a very expensive experiment that I still do not have the answer to. I bought a ton of these from one dealer and they turned out to be all the same.

Interestingly, I found the "greater mouse deer" icon for both sheets. Therefore, if I am correct in my deduction, there are 10 different stamps in this series, that would make 10 different versions of each booklet!

I would normally be on the quest to buy everything I can find (this series is not that common), but sadly, I also discovered that depending how the booklets were stored, the "scratchable" area becomes "un-scratchable" through time because of humidity damage.

The catalogue lists the species names even if they do not appear on the stamps.

Michel #: 891
Scott #: 847
Yvert #: 862
order: Scorpiones
family: scorpionidae
Pandinus imperator (C. L. Koch, 1841)























Michel #: 895
Scott #: 851
Yvert #: 866
order: Araneae
family: Theraphosidae
Haplopelma lividum Smith, 1996*
now:
Cyriopagopus lividus (Smithi 1996)


























First booklet:































right upper corner scratched
note Haplopelma lividum icon

















right upper corner scratched
note the greater mouse deer icon



















Second booklet:
















right upper corner scratched
note the iguana icon

right upper corner scratched
note the greater mouse deer icon






Other stamps of this series:




No comments:

Post a Comment